Thursday, June 16, 2011

Excursion #2

Our next stop on day 1, was through the Needles Highway where we went through 3 tunnels that are very narrowly cut through the mountain. One tunnel was surrounded by lots of cool rocks that the boys loved to hike around. The eye of the needle: This particular tunnel was 8'4" wide and 12' tall. We could touch the rock outside our car window. The family: Next, we went through the wildlife loop to view some buffalo and antelope. There were a couple herds right next to the road. I loved this part of the trip.
Toward the end of the loop there were some donkeys on the side of the road which I thought was random but stopped to take a picture anyways... (I was driving at this point) All of the sudden, one came over and stuck his head inside the car! I was flipping out and started to roll up my window but everyone said to keep it down. He was just sniffing around (notice the 2nd donkey looking suspicious) Then there were 2 donkey heads in my car. This was the drivers side and you can see how far I was leaning away from these guys. I don't think I can quite capture the sounds I was making while trying to avoid their mouths. We laughed about it all the way back to our cabin.We made a quick stop at Crazy Horse Memorial. I thought it was a waste of money. Only because you pay a lot of money to get in and you still don't get a close up of the monument. You had to look through binoculars to get a good view of it. And its only the profile. Now, the first weekend in June they let people hike all the way up to it which might have been cool, but we had just barely missed it. Tyson and Camille sharing the stroller, but not for long, don't worry.I thought we'd better document that we went there at least!

5 comments:

Megan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Megan said...

The donkeys are hilarious! I would have been freaking out too :)

Ashlee said...

The two donkeys...oh my. I can just picture AND hear it! Sooo funny!

Kristin said...

great recap sister! I will be stealing your tunnel specs. I couldn't remember the dimensions.

TURNER TALES said...

I agree with Ashlee....I could just picture your sights and SOUNDs when the donkeys showed up at your car!!!! Looks like you had a very fun trip!!