Saturday, July 5, 2008

Happy 4th of July!

Yesterday we were able to go to the Olympic Swim Trials. They were held in Omaha and were going on all week. We bought tickets off of Craigslist for the evening session last night. It was a really cool experience. All of the seats had t-shirts on them in red white and blue, depending on what section you were in. They wanted everybody to put them on for TV and they also gave us little American flags to wave. They had fireworks going off in the arena and lights. I didn't know a swim meet could be so much fun! It got such a huge turnout (I think around 14,000 for the night). That's the great thing about Omaha, there are no professional sports teams so the people are really supportive of any event that goes on. We were able to see some really cool races (two with Michael Phelps) and some award ceremonies. Tyson did so good, at first the loud introductions and music scared him, but he loved looking around the whole time. The ladies around us loved him, one even took a picture of him. We had him in a little 4th of July outfit that my Aunt Jill gave him. (Thanks Jill!) On our way home, we stopped to see some cool fireworks right above a golf course. It's been awhile since I've been that close to them! It was a great day and we were pooped by the end of it.

The pool from our seats.
Scott and Tyson being patriotic

Tyson was pooped by the end
Outside the doors of the Qwest Center
Family photo op wearing our free shirts!

It was 10:30 at night and Tyson was still a happy boy!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good for you for having a fun fourth! It sounded like a great day. Omaha is looking up! We love you, MOM

McKelle said...

That looks like so much fun! There was one time Coach Beth made the vball team go support the swim team and no one wanted to go but it was really cool! I don't think we ever went again but it was fun!

Porters said...

Kim & Scott - just found your blog! I added it to mine. So fun to read about what's going on. Email me if you're not added to mine because it's private - portergirl@gmail.com. Hope to see you guys soon!

Anonymous said...

What a fun "all-American" 4th of July. I'm glad to see you're all settled in your new town - it gives me a glimmer of hope for our move :)

Hafen Crew said...

WOW...sounds like your 4th of July was fun, but you didn't have Grandpa's flag ceremony. ;)
Chance got that same cute outfit from Jill...She always comes through! Chance had to wear different shorts though cause his were huge...he's only in the 16% for his weight. Poor little skinny kid...he didn't get thoses genes from me :)
I hope you're having fun in OMAHA!!

Molly and Kip said...

Oh my goodness. You little Tyson is so cute and so big! Kristin keeps telling me how big and cute he is so I had to see for myself. I am glad you didn't get caught in the tornados!! Those are so scary!

McKelle said...

That is so crazy that Troy Arnold is your bishop!! My brothers went to high school with him and his younger brother! It really is a small world!