Thursday, June 12, 2008

Tornado Warning!

Oh my goodness! We have not even been in Nebraska a week and we've already had two tornado sirens go off. Okay, so the first we slept through but that still counts! Last night a huge storm came in with big dark clouds and sure enough the siren goes off. (We were right in the middle of making dinner). I go outside because I wanted to see what other people in the complex were going to do. There were some others out on their balconey's watching the storm. Scott just wanted to get in the bathtub and stay in for the night, but I started seeing families head down to the tornado shelter in our complex with blankets and bags. As it starts getting really rainy, windy,and dark, I figured my husband has only been here a short time and these people live in Nebraska full time so I'm gonna follow them. No offense hun. We grabbed some things for the diaper bag and a blanket, put Tyson in his car seat and go. It was quite an experience being in that shelter. It was wet and smelled bad. I found that my complex has some pretty interesting, if not redneckish, people in it. I figure none of them read my blog so it's okay. We were there for about an hour (spending our time thinking how we should have brought camping chairs..oh well), listening to the sirens go off and then back on and then off and on. Finally we decide it's safe to leave, mostly because other people were leaving too. Once we get home, the siren goes on again and so we sit in the bathtub and end up having Spaghettios for dinner. I love Nebraska.
Inside the shelter

9 comments:

Hafen Crew said...

I can just picture the three of you in the bath tub. You poor girl. Isn't Nebraska awesome?! I can't wait to get to Kansas :)
I'll call you from my bath tub.
The storm shelter looked great and really cozy. Next summer you'll have your own basement to run to. That's a happy thought. At least you're smiling!!!

McKelle said...

I hear about those tornados on the news and thought of you! So glad you're ok! Oh how I wish I were in that bath tub with you! What fun we would have! You know how I love to be in showers with other women!

Anonymous said...

Okay, I am the mom and non of this is funny! We don't have tornados or earthquakes in Arizona. (There is no place like home). Work with me here! I hope your house has a cinderblock bathtub! Oh dear, oh dear! Love, worried mom!

Kristin said...

Now mom can pester you about water and food storage. At least my house won't get torn up, it will just shake around a little. I have never experienced that in the 6 years of living here, so you win. Way to go sis! Question...was Scott in the bathtub too? That must have been fun.

Ashlee said...

Three giants sharing one tub - wish I could have seen it! I cannot believe the good times you guys are having already! Shoot, can I come live in Nebraska too? Best of luck... and maybe we should call you Dorothy from now on.

Shel said...

Kim, your life never ceases to entertain me. Always something to write about, makes me want to move to Nebraska too :) Stay safe out there!

JP said...

Oh my sweet Kimmy, your momma said it right - "crisis living"! I am so glad you eventually made it, and that you are living through those tornadoes. I am amazed by little (?) Tyson, what a cutie. He better not pick on our little Cole when we get together for play dates after you move back to Utah from Omaha (right, Scott?). Hang in there girl, I'm amazed at how well you handle these fun life experiences! love ya.

Anonymous said...

oh no jackie, she's comin to az after omaha, no more utah!!! i just love it kimmy that mike and i are not the only ones that have crazy happenings! the only thing you can do is laugh! sometimes i'm the grouch about it but, i'm learning to just laugh!!! glad you're ok ;)what a fun adventure!!

Get Bent said...

Oh Kim! I think I would die. Tornados freak me out. Please take care there! At least you have interesting things to write about...my blog is pretty boring. But then again, you probably could do without the Tornados...yikes.