Monday, March 30, 2009

Never knew this gland existed!

My poor guy! Last night, I started noticing that the left side of Tyson's face was looking swollen. We had just cut his hair so I thought his cheeks were just looking extra chubby, but sure enough, it was swelling and had a hard mound right in front of his ear. We went through possible scenarios of what it could be. He had fallen out of his crib on Saturday (yes, its true.. he was leaning over the railing and fell right out) so we thought maybe it was swelling because he hit his face. But it wasn't tender or bruised so we decided to wait overnight to see what it did and sure enough, it was a lot bigger in the morning! I was stressing waiting until my doctors office opened so I could get an appointment. We were just in there on Friday for a sinus infection and was on amoxicillin for that so it was extra weird he had swelling. At the doctor, she didn't know what it was and called in another Dr to get his opinion. They claimed it as the mystery of the day as neither one had seen it before. They said it looked like mumps but he didn't fit any of the other symptoms, plus he has had his vaccinations. So they made me an appointment to see an ENT in the afternoon. You can be assured I was freaking out a little. What it turns out to be is an infected and blocked parotid gland and it wasn't draining properly. Now he is on new antibiotics and the doctor said he will probably take a while (like many days)for the swelling to go back down. So it looks like he will be looking like this for a while longer.
I feel so bad for him, but it doesn't seem to bother him and he's as and busy and happy as ever!

15 comments:

Ashlee said...

Okay, that is so sad, but I can't help but laugh too! I CANNOT believe how swollen that is. The poor child. I hope he gets better and the swelling goes down really soon. I'm glad he's not in pain!

DK Johnston said...

SAD! Poor lil guy. Sounds like you handled it well. I would have been freaking out. At least he is happy. Hope it gets better soon. What a random thing to happen??!!

Shanna said...

Oh I would be freaking out too!! So glad it's not anything serious!!! :)

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh, it is really swollen. I can't believe he isn't sore at all. I know the Turners have some big genes... but we don't take credit for this one. Give him a big kiss for me.(Even on the chubby cheek) Love, Grandma!

Kristin said...

I looked at your blog earlier and then decided to come back to comment. I still have no words, only a little bit of laughter. It's just to cute that he is smiling so big. I'm glad it is just a swollen gland.

Anonymous said...

oh, poor little guy! i hope he gets feeling better soon! that's pretty scary though, to have 2 doctors have no idea what it is! crazy! i'm glad everything's ok. :D

Amber said...

What a crazy and weird thing to happen. I'm glad that it isn't hurting him, and that the mystery was solved.

AJ said...

Kim - Your blog is so cute! What a cute cute little boy! Hope that life is good!

melbel said...

Oh Kim! Look at that poor little man who is never bothered by anything! :)

His little swollen smile brings a smile to my face! What a sweet little boy! Last night, we were with my brother and his kids, and Mason said "Bye Baby Tyson" to their little boy who kind of looks like Tyson! It was sweet that Mason still remembers his little friend!

Hafen Crew said...

Ryan came home from work and asked if I'd seen your blog, and I said no, so he told me to run in and check out Tyson. Poor Guy! I'm glad he's not hurting! I do have to agree with Ashlee, I did have to giggle a little! he's so cute even with one EXTRA chubby cheek!

It's a great day when it rains chocolate chips. I love it...Chance and Logan would have been all over that! and yes that is a treat only your mom could teach you!

Deanna said...

OH! poor little guy. at least he can keep a smile on his face.

Mark and Tamarie said...

Poor little guy! You can't help but laugh, and I'm sure Kim is now that she knows what it was. Looks like a dentist visit gone wrong. Hope you guys are doing well.

The Runyons said...

How scary! You did a great job Mom!

Turners said...

wow...that is crazy! I am glad you guys got it figured out though. poor guy. Still looks as cute as ever though :)

McKelle said...

OH, poor boy! I hope his swelling has gone down! You need to update us on his cute little, extra chubby cheeks!!