Sunday, July 5, 2009

The 4th and Fireworks!

I grew up in a household that celebrated each holiday in special ways. So I've tried to carry that on to my own family. I wanted the 4th to be fun, even if it meant our bbq was cooking hamburgers on our George Foreman, one at a time (its true) and eating slightly undercooked corn on the cob (also true). But we had to have a bbq on the Fourth of July...it's tradition afterall! Even though it's been only a year since we've lived in Nebraska, this is our 3rd Fourth of July here (the first being during an internship summer we spent here in 2007) and I think we've finally found the best place to watch fireworks. With only a few debates on where to park or whether or not to go back and get the chairs I'd forgotten, we ended up finding a great spot. Though Tyson would most likely never remember this year, I wanted to experience watching him, watching fireworks. Last year we watched it from our car and this year, by golly, we were going to watch it outside on a blanket with the rest of the folk!
We found a great way to keep him seated and quiet....Marshmellow Maties. A great show took place right above our heads and Tyson just sat and stared. Didn't cry, didn't really even move, just watched them. Made my day.
I couldn't help adding this picture of Tyson from last year on Fourth of July. He was almost 5 months old...It's amazing how much and how fast they grow!Hope you all had a festive 4th!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Way to go Kimmie... keep the traditions going strong. Glad you had fun with you little family. At least you don't have to sit on top of the old station wagon to watch fireworkds anymore in 110 degree heat. We missed you here for our FAB 4th and in the Oh Heck game with Steven and Chelsea too. Love you, MOM

Kristin said...

I feeling like singing, "Tradition...Tradition." from Fiddler on the Roof. Remember mom doing that one. Ummm where was the carmel popcorn.

Danielle said...

My boyfriend gives me marshmallow patties to keep me quiet and in my seat too. Works every time.

Tyson and Angela said...

You are so funny! I love the 4th of July and definately bbq's. It is just not the same without a good 'ole fashion bbq. I am glad you had a good 4th! :)

Ashlee said...

You're so good at carrying on traditions with your family. Since I still live close to my mom I think I rely on her too much to do the traditions we have. I need to grow up.

melbel said...

Oooh, so where is this secret hidden researched spot?

It's sad being so far away from family, but I'm loving that it doesn't get in your way from making/continuing your own family traditions.

I can't believe Tyson was mesmerized by the fireworks. I think he should hang out with Mason more, toughen him up a bit (since Mason had a REALLY hard time with the noise).

Stephanie said...

Golly maybe you should invest in a grill. I thought a grill was mandatory when one got a house. What is "oh heck"???

Stephanie said...

Golly maybe you should invest in a grill. I thought a grill was mandatory when one got a house. What is "oh heck"???

Hafen Crew said...

Look at you!! Keeping the traditions alive!!! Grandpa would also be so proud of you in carrying on TRADITIONS!! hahah....our family is pretty big on that word!! lol....there's a little on one Dec 24, that I'm glad is starting to go away hahah! Tyson is super cute!

Kristin said...

sister...time for a new post. How about a mushy one dedicated to scott for his birthday. By the way tell him Happy Birthday.